Mourad Mesellaty
#StoryOfTheDay..."He was shy, but serene. A story about the real #MichaelJackson. The other side of the man the media seems to forget.
"In October 1994 I organized a special tour of Memphis for Dutch Elvis fans to participate in the Elvis Tribute Concert. We were aware of the fact that Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley would be present. Through my contacts at Graceland, I was informed if there was a possibility to meet the couple. But, they told me that would be impossible. No one could find the famous couple.
We met in Memphis and at the same time, other famous artists and stars. On October 8th, at the concert, in fact, Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley were introduced by John Stamos to the audience. They were there with Priscilla Presley and Janet Jackson. The audience went crazy and this was a special moment. This was a very special tribute concert.
At the hotel, we met a mother who was there with two children. One of the children was suffering from cancer and would be treated at St. Judes Hospital in Memphis. It was very difficult to see a young woman, knowing that her life would soon be over. Later, during her stay in Memphis, we visited a record store.
Suddenly, we were surprised and stunned. Who was in the store? Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley with a pair of bodyguards! Of course the group that was with me went crazy, but I told them to stay calm. I went to one of the bodyguards and told him I was a travel agent and had 14 Dutch Elvis fans with me and asked if it would be possible to take a picture of Michael and Lisa Marie.
The bodyguard went to Michael. He talked to him, came back and asked, "Where are you from?" I said, "Holland." Once again, the bodyguard went to Michael and talked to him a bit, came back and said, "There's no problem taking a picture, but leave them alone to do their shopping first."
After a while, the bodyguard approached me and told me that we could take some pictures. We took our cameras and put them in position. Michael and Lisa Marie were posing for us. Suddenly, the bodyguard approached me and said, "What are you doing?" I was surprised and I said, "You told us, it would be okay to take some pictures..." The man replied, "Yes, but you can also say hello and talk to them." Then the unexpected happened. We met Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley.
We talked to them for over 20 minutes, we could take pictures and have them sign a CD. I talked to Michael and told him I watched two of his shows in Rotterdam in 1988. He said, "Ah, yes Amsterdam." But then he corrected himself. It was all incredible. He was shy, but serene. We were able to take pictures, as well as other people in my group and he was kind. With Lisa Marie I talked about the fact that I organised the tour with Dutch Elvis fans in Memphis and that I had been with his mother, Priscilla, a couple of times, the first time in Amsterdam.
Other people were not allowed in the vicinity, so we were surprised to talk to Michael and Lisa Marie. After more than 20 minutes, we said goodbye and the couple left the store, leaving us behind.
We immediately went to a photo developing shop. That was incredible. In Holland, the news spread and reached the media. The next day, I went to Graceland. Bridget, the office receptionist, almost fell off her chair. "Wow!" She screamed. I gave her one of the pictures. Later, I heard that she put the photo on her desk and that Priscilla Presley, when she noticed this, also requested a copy of the photo.
Our meeting with Michael and Lisa Marie was special. We were the only people who were allowed to meet and talk with them. But, I already mentioned the mother who was at the hotel with her little daughter!
Last night in Memphis, my best friend, Gerwin, entered the room late at night. I was already asleep and asked what he was doing with that woman. He woke me and I saw that the woman was crying. Gerwin told me that I had to do something. At first I did not understand what he was talking about. Then the story came up:
Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley visited St. Judes Hospital in Memphis and also delivered small gifts for the children. They gave the daughter of the woman they had met at our hotel, a Barbie. But this doll was stolen and although the girl was only 3 or 4 years old, she knew this was something special and she cried a lot. Just giving her another doll would not be an option.
My friend knew that I had my contacts at Graceland and wanted me to do something for this girl. At that moment, I couldn't do anything and the next morning, I would fly to Amsterdam. We gave Mom a couple of pictures from our meeting with Michael and Lisa Marie and I told her, that I would try to do everything to take care of it.
Back in the Netherlands, I immediately sent a fax to Patsy Andersen, Graceland manager, explaining the story. She responded by saying that she would try to get in touch with Michael Jackson as soon as possible. Every day, my friend Gerwin, asked me if I already had any news. I told him that it would probably be easier to get in touch with the president of the US than with Michael Jackson.
On Christmas Eve 1994, my phone rang. It was Bridget from Graceland. For me, it wasn't unusual to be contacted at Graceland and I thought they wanted to wish me a Merry Christmas. However, Bridget put Patsy on the line. She told me she had good news and bad news. The good news was that Michael finally responded and sent a box of gifts to the girl. Patsy went to the hospital immediately. When she arrived at St. Judes Hospital, she learned that the girl had passed away the day before... Patsy got her mother's address from the hospital and reported it to Michael Jackson.
As I learned later, Michael received this shocking news and sent another package with gifts for his mother and another for the girl's sister and called her mother personally. He apologized and talked to that woman for a long time.
This is a very rare but real story about the other side of Michael Jackson and I wish I could get in touch with this woman again''.
By Noppie Rooney ( Source MJ Brasil Forever )
