Michael Jackson the humanitarian

Michael Jackson's news in English. Your updated reference for Michael Jackson's news in English language from all around the world. Rumors, gossip and true facts. And a lot of Michael Jackson's beautiful pictures.
soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Re: Michael Jackson the humanitarian

Messaggio da soulmum » 8 dicembre 2020, 6:31

“Michael Jackson´s world tours have been more like global love-ins than concerts. He´s taken all this love and his own deep feelings and channeled them into dozens of humanitarian causes. On behalf of VH1, we would like to present this award to you for the work you´ve done over the years for so many charities. In addition, VH1 is proud to announce the creation of a special VH1 INTERNATIONAL HONORS AWARD FOR THE KING OF POP which will be presented in future years to artists whose world-wide charitable work follows in the footsteps of youself.” #MorganFreeman, VH1 Honors 1995

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 8 dicembre 2020, 20:59

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 9 dicembre 2020, 20:23

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 10 dicembre 2020, 15:58

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 11 dicembre 2020, 10:05

Mourad Mesellaty

#OnThisDay December 10th, 1992. At the U.S. Consulate in Tokyo, Pepsi rewards #MichaelJackson's contributions through its charitable organization, Heal The World, with a check for $10,000 for its Heal The World Foundation. Michael gave a short speech saying: ′′ Thank you.
I am very happy to be back in Japan. And very nice to see all the children.... The innocence of children is for me the source of infinite creativity and I feel that all my creativity comes from here.... This is not an intellectual type of intelligence but an iteligence full of wonder, magic, mystery and adventure. There is love in this intelligence, there is trust, there is joy and there is beauty and the kind of intelligence that will heal the world. This is why I am here and this is why we are here. Thank you very much. I love you all." #DangerousWorldTour #MJHumanitarian

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 13 dicembre 2020, 6:43

December 13, 1984. #MichaelJackson attended a
Thank You ceremony at the Brotman Memorial Hospital in Culver City, California.
Back in the year of January 27,1984, having gone through a severe burn injury on his head due to faulty stage pyrotechnics, Michael was admitted to the ‘Brotman burn center’,with Michael despite having a second and third degree burn on his head he would visit burn patients and comfort them. It was also discovered that he donated the entire sum of 1.5 million dollars to this burn center for the treatment of burn victims, acquired out of the settlement at court by Michael and Pepsico. Out of the money donated by Michael, the center was able to get the best technology available for the therapy of burn victims.
Following Michael's Pepsi commercial accident, the artist and long time friend Brett Livingstone Strong created the bronze relief works for the MJ burn center and other institutions that Michael was contributing generously towards.

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 17 dicembre 2020, 5:41

December 17, 2004. #Michael Jackson invited approximately 200 people, children and their families from 6 special centers, among which churches, church schools etc, at his residence in California, and reiterated previous statements regarding the access of families, as well as tourists around the world, welcomed to spend time and tour Neverland. Michael also greeted the gathering families and verbally addressed them holiday wishes. Michael Jackson’s spokesperson at the time, Raymone Bain, also present at the event, said that it was not an out-of-the-ordinary event at Neverland (as previously shown)... "…And at least 2 to 4 times a month, organizations are allowed to come here. And, since this was the last part of the holidays, he decided he would surprise the kids by doing so and they’re very happy about that". The event was an annual Christmas festivity, where hundreds of inner-city and underprivileged children and adults spent their time exploring the surroundings and the singer's ranch, riding on attractions, snacking on food and drinks, watching movies and playing in a two-story arcade, all of these being provided free-of-charge by Michael Jackson, and, often, even during his absence there."

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 17 dicembre 2020, 19:54

.Here the story how #MichaelJackson changed Lala Romero's life..."Michael called me, after a surgery I had & invited me to the set of his video for "The Way You Make Me Feel". Here's what stood out about the day, the biggest super-star in the world made me feel like the super-star. In the middle of all his hectic-ness he would come see me, take pics with me & make sure I was good between takes!!
At 5 yrs old I sat & watched him shoot, take after take in this warehouse in San Pedro CA. He introduced me to everyone, his sister Latoya was there, his co-star, that beautiful girl he was SO shy to kiss Tatianna. Even at that young age I was very aware of how gracious & kind he was with EVERYONE on set. Looking back now I remember he was sooooo excited that all of the extras were real ex bloods, crips, gang members from LA. I remember him being so excited about giving them a chance to shine & a new opportunity.
We sat in his trailer, I remember telling him I wanted to be a singer when I grew up & gave him pics of me from my dance recital. I remember eating with him & him being the very first vegetarian I had ever met! I was like u don't eat meat??? I was so confused!! Lol. Man writing this, thinking about this day & all the rest of the times I spent with him makes me smile!! As a lil girl I never really grasped how famous he was, honestly I think that's why he loved hanging out with me!
To me & all the other kids, he was just a fun, crazy, silly guy, who sang our most favorite songs. I love him for being the most honest, pure heart I have ever known for showing me video shoots, recording studios, & concerts, up close and personal, making my dream seem possible. I was there in it, seeing it happen, he brought me into a world I would have never known existed without him. A lil girl from Van Nuys CA. I can't even begin to count the ways he changed my life. He helped create my dream. Records like Homegirlz & Sadgirl I know he would be proud of, he was always ALWAYS about giving back!! I miss him everyday & can't believe he is gone."
#LalaRomero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0mkTl_y6oo...

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 20 dicembre 2020, 7:19

On January 7, 1994, #MichaelJackson organized,
on occasion of Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, a gala for 100 needy children at his Neverland residence. Meanwhile, "HTWF", with partners "Unihealth" and "Los Angeles Immunization Coalition", disseminate vaccines to the homeless children in Los Angeles, beggared by a damaging earthquake in the area. Moreover, the singer’s"HTWF", along with "Discovery Playthings", hands hundreds of toys to children attending an immunization drive. "Heal L.A.",additionally, donated more than 85,000 dollars to the "Al Wooten Jr. Heritage Center", "Casa Rutilio Grande", "Clinica Para Las Americas", "Families in New Directions", "Meeting Each Need With Dignity", "Proyecto Esperanza", "Pueblo Nuevo", and "Vaughn Street Family Center" sheltering the victims of the Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley earthquake. Associated with "General Electric", "Lever Brothers" and "Surf Wash", "HTWF" deliver washers, dryers and soap to 25 NGO’s, as well as free laundry services, all for the earthquake-stricken people, in addition, along with "Heal L.A." and "Salvation Army", 400 homeless people and their children are invited to spend a day at "Universal Studios". Michael Jackson and his residence are also hosts to 100 children from the "Community Youth Sports and Arts Foundation" in Los Angeles, whom he spoke and played with, poses for pictures and signed autographs; the children, moreover, watched film "Beethoven's 2nd" with him in his amusement park, and visited his private zoo.

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 20 dicembre 2020, 19:58

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 22 dicembre 2020, 11:14

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 24 dicembre 2020, 20:09

“That’s what Christmas is all about - giving.” - Michael Jackson
On this day in 1971, Michael and his brothers performed a benefit concert for Foundation for The Junior Blind in Los Angeles in honor of the holidays

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 27 dicembre 2020, 7:32

June 14, 2002, #MichaelJackson left Paddington Station in London, on a train ride to Exeter, Devon, in Great Britain, with Uri Geller, David Blaine and Mark Lester, as well as with 200 fans. They all went to Saint James Park where 10,000 have gathered for a fund-raising event in Exeter, organized to collect money for the football club and two charities aimed at combating AIDS and malaria. At the Stadium, Michael Jackson met a young disabled boy, who jumped for joy straight into Michael’s arms. “I held him so tight… It was unbelievable”, the youth said. “And he walked around for a bit and tapped me on the head and said “I love you”, and it was just the most memorable thing I’ve ever done in my life.” He meets other local children at the Stadium, among whom Lauren Setherton, who, at the time, was suffering from cancer.

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 29 dicembre 2020, 7:40

On March 1, 1988, on occasion of the United Negro College Fund's 44th dinner at a press conference organized by his sponsor, Pepsi, in Manhattan, N.Y., #MichaelJackson offered UNCF’s President and CEO, Christopher Edley a check for 600,000 dollars, the entire grossings from his private sold-out benefit concert held at Madison Square Garden in New York City (for the 42 UNCF institutions, including Fisk University), making him one of "UNCF"s most significant donators. The event featured children reading their dreams and wishes as Michael Jackson looks on.

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 30 dicembre 2020, 12:31

In July, 1990, #MichaelJackson invited 45 critically ill children from the Project "Dream Street", from Los Angeles to Neverland, where they are treated to a tour of his ranch, a meal and a film. The Dream Street program is an organization for children with life-threatening illnesses.

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 4 gennaio 2021, 7:51

On April 24, 2002. #MichaelJackson performed at a fund-raiser at "Apollo Theater" in Harlem, New York for the "Democratic National Committee", to launch a campaign aimed at persuading United States citizens to register and where nearly 3 million dollars are collected for the voting registration. Michael Jackson performed "Dangerous", "Black Or White" and "Heal The World" (joined by Diana Ross) at the said event called "A Night At The Apollo", the King Of Pop sharing the stage with former president Bill Clinton and singers Tony Bennett and K. D. Lang.The money would be used for the then new "Every Vote Counts" campaign, the committee said. The 1'400 audience members paid up to 5,000 dollars each to see the array of stars. #MJHumanitarian

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 5 gennaio 2021, 15:44

#OnThisDay...January 6, 1990. #MichaelJackson organized a festivity for 82 deprived children at his residence via "Childhelp USA", who are offered a tour of his Neverland ranch, games to play, a barbeque for meal and a film representation to watch: "The Little Mermaid" and "Back To The Future II"

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 8 gennaio 2021, 20:18

S. Spielberg MJ had a special empathy for people who needed support Through his Heal the World Foundation he worked to preserve what was most valuable children and the environment MJ gives so much to others that he himself is one of the most valuable resources on this planet

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 10 gennaio 2021, 9:28

"I truly care about children, and about the future for our children. I'm a little frightened about what the future is going to bring. I truly, truly love them and care about them. I will always help them. When I go on tour, I visit hospitals, terminally ill children. At my ranch at Neverland, we have many terminally ill children as our guests. We do this every few weeks. You do it because you truly love them and you care." #MichaelJackson

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 12 gennaio 2021, 8:45

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 16 gennaio 2021, 15:23

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 21 gennaio 2021, 9:12

“My fondest memory [at Neverland] was one night when we had a houseful of bald-headed children. They all had cancer. And one little boy turned to me and said, 'This is the best day of my life.' You had to just hold back the tears.” - Michael Jackson

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 21 gennaio 2021, 20:43

@Pyt_58

I always wondered what some fans did when the 2001 NYC terrorist attack happened and this story got me emotional, I don't think any celebrity would treat his fans the way he did

Immagine

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 22 gennaio 2021, 9:03

DAVID RUFFIN JR.
@DAVIDRUFFINJR

Fact! (sorta)
MJ was actually in attendance while in disguise. I was at a huge loss for not being able to tell Michael, personally, how my h I appreciated him. As a person...as a human being.. Not a superstar! twitter.com/tajjackson3/st…

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 27 gennaio 2021, 7:12

January 25th, 1997. A #MichaelJackson Memorabilia Auction is held in Bombay, India. Diamond merchant, Bharat Shah, paid $10,081 for a pillow case on which Michael wrote, "India, all my life I have longed to see your face. I met you and your people and fell in love with you. Now my heart is filled with sorrow and despair for I have to leave, but I promise I shall return to love you and caress you again. Your kindness has overwhelmed me, your spiritual awareness has moved me, and your children have truly touched my heart. They are the face of God. I truly love and adore you India. Forever, continue to love, heal and educate the children, the future shines on them. You are my special love, India. Forever, may God always bless you”
Another businessman paid $5,500 for a mirror on which Michael scrawled "I love you India. I have seen the face of God in your children..." The money raised was given to a charity, which helps educate children living in slums. Michael had also waived his personal fee for the Bombay appearance and donated $1.1 million to charity.

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 27 gennaio 2021, 21:20

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 28 gennaio 2021, 8:34

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 31 gennaio 2021, 8:18

“Michael brought blacks, whites, Asians and Latinos together. It was Michael Jackson who said ‘we are the world’ to feed the hungry long before Live Aid“. Reverend #AlSharpton

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 2 febbraio 2021, 9:10

MJ-Upbeat
@BonnieLamrock
Good with children and knew enough to get down on the child’s level which psychologically brings the boy more comfort.

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 6 febbraio 2021, 7:28

February 3, 1992, during a press conference at Radio City Music Hall in New York, #MichaelJackson officially announced the birth of a new world tour #DangerousWorldTour aimed at raising funds for his fledgling Heal The World Foundation. .
After signing a $ 20 million sponsorship deal with Pepsi Vice President Peter Kendal, the largest ever between a company and a music artist, Kendal himself handed Michael Jackson, on behalf of Pepsi, a check for $ 100,000 for #HealTheWorldFoundation.
To make that day perfect, the St. Thomas Boy's Choir, a choir made up entirely of kids which moved Michael with a touching rendition of the song Heal The World , followed by a short but meaningful speech from the King of Pop himself to the press :
« When I composed this song, Heal The World , my dream was to hear her sing like they just did. That is, with such innocence and beauty.
Thank you so much, I really loved what I just heard. It took me a long time to keep from crying. Thank you so much.
Good afternoon. I would like to thank the Pepsi Cola Corporation for sponsoring the Dangerous Tour, which is scheduled to start in June.
The only reason I'm going on tour is to raise money for the newly formed Heal The World Foundation , an international charity for children that I'm leading to support children and ecology.
My goal is to raise $ 100 million by Christmas 1993 . I urge every company and individual who cares about this planet and the future of children to help us raise money for Heal The World.
The Heal The World Foundation will contribute financially to Pediatric AIDS , in honor of my friend Ryan White . The Heal The World Foundation will also offer its support to valuable organizations such as Camp Ronald McDonald, Make-A-Wish Foundation , Children's Diabetes , Minority AIDS Foundation and other Associations.
I can't wait to start this tour, because it will allow me to invest time in visiting children from all over the world; as well as to spread the message of global love, in the hope that others will feel compelled to do their part for the healing of the world.
Thanks for coming. I love you so much. And thanks to all ».

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 9 febbraio 2021, 20:30

February 9, 2002. #MichaelJackson made an appearance alongside #ElizabethTaylor at the "Art for AIDS: A tribute to Rock Hudson" fund-raiser held at Laguna Art Museum in Laguna Beach, California. Roy Harold Scherer, Jr., AKA #RockHudson, was an American film and television actor, and also one of the first major Hollywood celebrity to die from an AIDS-related illness. Michael donated a commemorative t-shirt that was auctioned off. He also briefly appeared later at a private 2,500 dollar per plate dinner, also in support of the fund-raiser.

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 10 febbraio 2021, 20:34

February 10th, 1992. #MichaelJackson traveled from Los Angeles to the African continent to find his origins. His departure from Los Angeles was with Ali Bongo, son of the President of Gabon and Charles Bobbit (R.I.P) did not go unnoticed. But his arrival in Gabon will be even more acclaimed.
Michael flew to Africa only once, in 1974, with his brothers as the Jackson 5 for a tour promoting that started in Senegal and had a strong impact on him. For Michael, this trip meant: ′′ My return to Africa, the return to paradise ".
The Return to Paradise tour, as he wanted to call this trip, gave name to a documentary that will never see the light of day.
However, it was not a concert tour. Michael, accompanied by Brett Barnes, is expected to spend 11 days in Gabon, Ivory Coast and Tanzania, during which he will meet government officials and visit hospitals, orphanages, schools and missions.

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 14 febbraio 2021, 7:05

February 14th, 2001. #MichaelJackson appeared in
New York to make a speech at Carnegie Hall to launch Heal The Kids campaign

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 17 febbraio 2021, 8:42

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 18 febbraio 2021, 14:14

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 22 febbraio 2021, 19:56

February 23, 1995. #MichaelJackson received the Harry Chapin Memorial Humanitarian Award for his humanitarian services and contribution to charity

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 1 marzo 2021, 20:10

Michael Jackson

On this date in 1988, Michael Jackson increased his commitment to United Negro College Fund with a donation of $600,000, the proceeds from his performance at Madison Square Garden.

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 4 marzo 2021, 7:51

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 9 marzo 2021, 16:09

March 10th, 1988. #MichaelJackson was given an honorary doctor of humane letters from Nashville’s very own HBCU, Fisk University.
At the end of the event, Fisk University’s President, Dr. Henry Ponder presented Michael Jackson an honorary degree. JET Magazine quotes him stating, “To want to learn, to have the capacity to learn and not be able to is a tragedy. I am honored to be associated with an evening that says this will never happen. Thank you, I love you all.”
President Ronald Reagan even sent to Michael Jackson a congratulations via pre-recorded tape stating:
“Michael, I’m sorry that Nancy and I could not be with you for this very special day, but I want to congratulate you for the honors you are receiving tonight from the United Negro College Fund and the honorary degree awarded you by Fisk University. Let me be the first to call you the new Dr. “J.”
According to a 1988 article in JET Magazine about the event where Michael Jackson was given the degree, Michael had received a lot of criticism for his Victory Tour because of its high ticket prices and the argument that it was not putting money back into the Black community. In order to silence the critics, according to the JET article, he established The Michael Jackson Scholarships with The United Negro College Fund, “an umbrella organization for 42 private, historically Black institutions of learning,” with a large portion of money that he earned from the his tours.
During the honorary graduation, Michael made a speech:-
"I would like to say this about the United Negro College Fund. An education opens a person's mind to the entire world, and there is nothing more important than to make sure everyone has the opportunity for an education. To want to learn, to have the capacity to learn and not to be able is a tragedy. I am honored to be associated with an evening that says this will never happen." #MJHumanitarian

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 11 marzo 2021, 9:37

MJJJusticeProject #1Billion4MJ
@MJJJusticePrjct

Michael Jackson HONORED for his support of the United Negro College Fund in 1988. The interest on His enormous seed money donation is STILL awarding moneys to deserving black students in the HBCU family. #FactsMatter

Immagine

The deadline for application to Michael Jackson Scholarship is THIS MONTH -- Get the move on !!! https://scholarshipsonline.org/2015/05/ ... rship.html #education
Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 18 marzo 2021, 8:10

"...I loved my job at Neverland. My job was to entertain the biggest entertainer the world will ever know. How many people can say that ? #MichaelJackson the person : caring, compassionate, genuine, practical joker, and an incredible, loving father. […] During my 15 years at Neverland, sitting at a picnic table under a huge oak tree, I had several long conversations with Mr. Jackson about Neverland. Looking into his eyes and hearing his voice, there is no doubt that the charity work done at Neverland was one of the most important things in his life. In time, I believe the importance of those magical days for those sick kids and inner city kids would have found its way back into Michael’s heart. The letters from doctors and nurses from children's hospital and the letters from parents who hang on to the memory of their child and that trip to Neverland, make it very clear how important Mr. Jackson’s charity work through Neverland was."
- Allan "Big Al" Scanlan

Immagine

Rob Swinson
More beautiful words could not have been written by my friend Allan Scanlan to describe Michael Jackson and HIS charity work for the underprivileged, terminally ill and handicapped children of our World - the primary reason Michael Jackson & myself co-created HIS "Neverland Dream" in the first place! One of Michael's biggest concerns when we were creating Neverland Valley Park waz how he could also accommodate ALL of the children on the amusement rides, which required special alterations at Chance Rides. Not an easy task! Michael wanted no child to be left behind because of a disability... For the 50' Grand Carrousel we designed a ramp that receded underneath the floor and handicap accessible chariots with ends that opened to allow access to wheelchair lock-downs so it appeared the child waz sitting in the chariot while riding in his or her wheelchair. If the child could ride on one of the 60 carrousel animals, each animal waz equipped with a safety strap. A C.P. Huntington train coach waz designed with a fold down access ramp and wheelchair lock-downs so the child could "ride the rails" in the comfort and safety of a wheelchair. Safety always came first!

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 21 marzo 2021, 11:38

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 22 marzo 2021, 12:42

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 24 marzo 2021, 8:44

Immagine

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 25 marzo 2021, 19:39

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 27 marzo 2021, 20:18

March 27, 1993. The Milken Family Foundation, a private foundation established by Lowell Milken and Michael Milken, held The Milken Family Foundation National Educator Awards ceremony at The Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles. The foundation, established in 1982’s mission was to support education and medical research. At the meeting, Michael gave a 5-minute speech to 1200 teachers and politicians and also performed “Heal the World” with a group of children.

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 2 aprile 2021, 8:02

April 1st, 2004. #MichaelJackson attended
the Ethiopian Embassy in Washington DC to support
The AASA (African Ambassador’s Spouses Association).
Michael was accompanied by the Ambassador of Niger’s wife,
Haoua Piatta, and Mazie Green Holland & watched a children’s group dance before being awarded the golden elephant, the humanitarian award to honour his worldwide humanitarian efforts, particularly the fight against AIDS in Africa.

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 5 aprile 2021, 15:28

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 7 aprile 2021, 16:56

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 8 aprile 2021, 7:32

April 8th, 1990: While Michael Jackson was occupied at the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, he received news that his friend Ryan White had passed away. In a surreal scene, cameras captured Michael Jackson, with Trump in town, arriving at the Ryan White family home to pay condolences, with Michael Jackson even climbing inside Ryan’s Ford Mustang — which had been a gift from M.J. — as a copy of Bad played on the stereo. When asked by a reporter why the two men had appeared together, a Trump spokesperson answered, “Mr. Jackson spent the weekend at the Taj Mahal as Mr. Trump’s guest, and Michael Jackson asked him to come along.”
Ryan Wayne White (December 6, 1971 – April 8, 1990) was an American teenager from Kokomo, Indiana who became a national poster child for HIV/AIDS in the United States after being expelled from school because of his infection. A hemophiliac, he became infected with HIV from a contaminated blood treatment. Healthy for most of his childhood, he became extremely ill with pneumonia in December 1984. On December 17, 1984, during a partial-lung removal procedure, Ryan White was diagnosed with AIDS.
After the diagnosis, Ryan White was too ill to return to school, but by spring had begun to feel better. His mother asked if he could return to school, but was told by school officials that he should not. On June 30 1985, a formal request to permit re-admittance to school was denied by Western School Corporation superintendent James O. Smith, sparking a legal battle that lasted for eight months.
Though doctors said he posed no risk to other students, AIDS was poorly understood at the time, and when White tried to return to school, many parents and teachers in Kokomo rallied against his attendance. White’s school, Western Middle School in Russiaville, faced enormous pressure from many parents and faculty to bar him from the campus after his diagnosis became widely known. 117 parents (from a school of 360 total students) and 50 teachers signed a petition encouraging school leaders to ban White from school. Due to the widespread fear and ignorance about AIDS, the principal and later the school board assented.
The ways in which HIV spread were not fully understood in the 1980s. Scientists knew it spread via blood and was not transmittable by any sort of casual contact, but as recently as 1983, the American Medical Association had thought that “Evidence Suggests Household Contact May Transmit AIDS”, and the belief that the disease could spread easily persisted.
Many families in Kokomo believed Ryan’s presence posed an unacceptable risk. When he was permitted to return to school for one day in February 1986, 151 of 360 students stayed home. He also worked as a paperboy, and many of the people on his route canceled their subscriptions, believing that HIV could be transmitted through newsprint.
When White was finally readmitted in April, a group of families withdrew their children and started an alternative school. Threats of violence and lawsuits persisted. According to White’s mother, people on the street would often yell, “we know you’re queer” at Ryan.
Ryan White attended Western Middle School for eighth grade for the entire 1986-87 school year, but was deeply unhappy and had few friends. The school required him to eat with disposable utensils and use separate bathrooms. Threats continued. When a bullet was fired through the Whites’ living room window, the family decided to leave Kokomo. After finishing the school year, his family moved to Cicero, Indiana, where White enrolled at Hamilton Heights High School. On August 31, 1987, a “very nervous” White was greeted by school principal Tony Cook, school system superintendent Bob G. Carnal, and a handful of students who had been educated about AIDS and were unafraid to shake White’s hand.
Many celebrities appeared with White, starting during his trial and continuing for the rest of his life, to help publicly destigmatize socializing with people with AIDS – among them Elton John and Michael Jackson.
Doctors said White had only six months to live. Surprising his doctors, Ryan White lived five years longer than predicted and died in April 1990, shortly before he would have completed high school.
Imagine the 1980s. It was the time when everybody was panicky about AIDS as a new fatal and contagious disease and was highly on their guard with those who contracted it. People were afraid to sit next to AIDS victims and breathe the same air with them. And it was exactly at that time that Michael Jackson fearlessly invited the boy ill with AIDS to his home, dined with him and publicly embraced him inviting others not to be fearful of these people.
Is it possible for an ordinary person to understand why a mega-star like Michael would prefer the company of a gravely ill boy to numerous valuable things which make up a person’s life? An incredibly famous and busy young man would spend his precious spare time with ill children like Ryan White instead of going to parties or living a carefree life full of joy and self-indulgence? And would take the trouble of calling his small friend, arranging his trips, buying him presents and lavishing him with attention while all this time he could have taken care of himself or relaxed from his hard work?
Can any of us be really capable of anything like that? Not just once but on a regular basis and for a long time too? Can you? Seriously? And Michael Jackson could…
Ryan´s mother speaks of their friendship
..”Michael was amazed that Ryan never talked about his illness. And he said he never wanted anybody to feel sorry for him. So I think they really had this good communication of respect for each other”.
Q. You never had any hesitation about Ryan spending time with Michael Jackson? A. No!
… Michael was always interested in what Ryan was doing. He loved kids, and he didn’t care what race you were, what color you were, what was your handicap, what was your disease – Michael just loved all children.
Q. He did something incredibly special when he learned what Ryan’s favorite car was? A. We had a call from a car dealer who said they had a car for Ryan. [Michael did it] just to see the joy in the kid’s face.
[During the funeral] the car was sitting outside in the yard.. Michael started the car and “Man in the Mirror” was playing. The little things made Michael so happy. You could see in his eyes and he was smiling from ear to ear and said, “I was the last person that Ryan was listening to…?” and I said, “Yes”. Ryan just listened to it over and over again.
Three days after the funeral Michael called me and asked me how I was doing. I said, “What made you and Ryan so close?” Michael said, “…Nobody ever acts normal round me. Ryan knew how I wanted to be treated because that’s how he wanted to be treated. I can’t trust anyone because everyone wants something from me”. Then he said, “I promised Ryan he could be in my next video, but now that he is gone I can’t put him in my video. But could I do a video for him? I was like, “That’s unbelievable”. And he did a video called Gone too soon… that’s the memory that’ll stay forever”.
Michael Jackson statement about his friend Ryan White :
"I am not trying to be philosophical but I really think it’s my job to help them. I think it is my calling. I don’t care if people laugh or what they say.
[Children] don’t have a mouth to society and I think it is now their time. From here on out it is their time. They need the world’s awareness and they need issues to deal with, and this is for them. And if I can be that light, that pedestal just to shine some light on who they are, and the importance of who children are, that’s what I want to do. I don’t know how God chooses people, or plays chess with people, and he does put you in position and sets you up. Sometimes I feel like that, like this is my place.
Ryan White. The hardest for me is. . . I don’t understand when a child dies. I really don’t. I think there should be a window where there is a chance of dying but not in this window of time. When a child dies, or if the child is sick, I really don’t understand it.
But I listen to Ryan White, twelve years old at my dining room table at Neverland telling his mother how to bury him. He said, “Mom when I die, don’t put me in a suit and tie. I don’t want to be in a suit and tie. Put me in OshKosh jeans and a T-shirt.”
I said: ‘I have to use the bathroom,” and I ran to the bathroom and I cried my eyes out. Hearing this little boy telling his mother how to bury him. That hurt me. It was as if he was prepared for it and when he died he was in OshKosh jeans and a T-shirt and a watch that I gave him. How could your heart not go out to someone like that?
And I am sitting alone in this room with him and he is lying there and I felt so bad I just wanted to hold him and kiss him and say that I love him, which I did all those things when he was alive. I took care of him and he stayed at my house. But to see him just lying there … I spoke to him and I said, “Ryan, I promised you that I would do something in your honor on my next album. I will create a song for you. I will sing it. I want the world to know who you are.” I did Gone Too Soon . That was for him." #MichaelJackson

Immagine

Immagine

Rispondi