Brad Sundberg seminars: In the studio with MJ

Michael Jackson's news in English. Your updated reference for Michael Jackson's news in English language from all around the world. Rumors, gossip and true facts. And a lot of Michael Jackson's beautiful pictures.
soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Re: Brad Sundberg seminars: In the studio with MJ

Messaggio da soulmum » 29 gennaio 2023, 8:42

#MJInnocent✊🏾Official
@MJInnocentUK
We are appalled.

Not only having to contend with all his work & materials being stolen,
@InStudioWithMJ
is now being ‘taunted’ on Social Media. We are truly aghast at what is happening to #BradSunberg - an incredible human who loved MJ, so valued & important to our community.

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 29 gennaio 2023, 9:12

A difficult day in the studio today. We are working with police and doing all we can to retrieve my material. The entire event is backed up so we will be returning in full force tomorrow. Thank you for all of your love, kindness, and support. -Brad

https://fb.watch/ij-boevGwR/

UPDATE
The leaked songs posted on "Jackson Unreleased" YT account has been terminated for copyright. It seems that either
@InStudioWithMJ
or MJ Estate must've set the copyright claims to the channel for posting. Brad & family distressed, having to change all bank/security details

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 30 gennaio 2023, 9:38

Quick update from Brad: I am overwhelmed by the amount of love and support we have received over the weekend. Thank you for each kind word, note and comment - I am deeply grateful.
The theft goes far beyond hardware; it is a complete violation of my personal data, music, home movies, family and personal photos, voicemails, notes and more. They were all brazenly and tauntingly posted online for the world to see.
I will give you more details in the next day or so but I am fine, working with law enforcement.
Many have asked what they can do to help and my response is simple: Please help us report any and all stolen ("leaked") materials on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
I, along with my family and friends, greatly appreciate your prayers, love, friendship and support as we deal with this challenging situation head-on.
Moving forward -
Brad

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 30 gennaio 2023, 12:32

Michaelmania

IN THE STUDIO WITH MJ
We have learned that Michael Jackson material circulating (and will circulating) in these hours was stolen during the last seminar held by Brad Sunberg in Brussels. The event has been cancelled and police are investigating. Brad apparently had a laptop stolen containing the King of Pop's personal material. Out of respect for Brad, Other People's Work and Michael, we have decided not to share such material on our pages. We're sure the fans will understand. In The Studio With MJ -

BRAVO!!!!!

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 2 febbraio 2023, 7:51

In The Studio With MJ

Greetings.
This past weekend I was the victim of a calculated and pre-planned robbery during one of my events in Brussels. My computer and hard drive were stolen from the studio during a break and I lost many very personal videos, mixes, photos and voice mails. They were all splashed onto the internet for world to see in a truly heartless and criminal act.
My computer and hard drive were returned the next morning (the thief had what he wanted), and Brian Vibberts and I continued on with the event the best we could.
We know exactly who the thief is, and I am in contact with law enforcement.
The thief is planning future attacks, soliciting accomplices, raising money and threatening violence against me and my fellow MJ team members to retrieve more files, songs, anything.
I have cancelled my Minnesota event and refunded all ticketed guests. All further events are currently on hold as we determine our best course of action moving forward.
The flood of positive support we have received has been overwhelming, and I know virtually everyone in the MJ community is as disgusted by these actions as I am. I am truly grateful for every kind word, note, comment and prayer.
On a personal level, I am fine. Extremely frustrated, but fine. I have many friends going through far more challenging situations.
I love doing these events, sharing these stories and being a part of a beautiful community. ITSWMJ was and will continue to be about celebrating Michael's talent, humor, creativity, humanity and philanthropy in a studio with great speakers and fellow music lovers.
However, when threats of violence are made against me and my friends it's time to pause, regroup, pray, plan and rebuild.
Which is exactly what we will be doing for the next few weeks.
Stay safe, and thanks for your love, friendship and support.
Brad

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 17 marzo 2023, 10:18

In The Studio With MJ

Keep The Faith
The first time I heard the name Andre Crouch, I was just a young boy. I grew up in a Christian home and Andre's music was part of the soundtrack of my youth.
My Tribute.
Through It All.
Soon And Very Soon.
We sang those songs in church and heard them on the radio. I was too young to know who Andre was, or have any concept that our paths would intersect on multiple occasions.
Fast forward a few years to 1985. I was newly married to my beautiful wife Debbie (we were still trying to figure out how to be adults), and I had my first job in a recording studio: Westlake Studios.
Now to be fair, me landing at Westlake was a bit calculated. When I was in high school,an album called "Off The Wall" was on continuous rotation on every pop station in the US, and just over three years later "Thriller" dropped just after I graduated. When I talk about how dominant Michael was to younger fans it's likely hard for them to comprehend. We had a new channel called MTV, and Michael was the king. His music was everywhere, but it was also personal. I didn't just own the Thriller, I studied it. I played it over and over, listening to the reverb and the drums and the sounds. And I read the liner notes. I studied them and learned names like Westlake Audio and Quincy Jones and Bruce Swedien and Rod Temperton and Matt Forger - having not the slightest clue I would soon be part of their team.
So when Debbie and I got married and moved to LA for me to pursue music recording as a career, there was really only one studio I wanted to work for: Westlake.
Now stay with me, I'll get back to Andre in a minute.
I was hired as a runner. A runner is the "kid" who vacuums the floors, rolls mic cables, makes food runs and does whatever the session needs him or her to do. I was in my favorite place on the planet.
Then I found out that Michael Jackson would be moving into Studio A with Matt Forger to work on a Disney project: Captain EO.
I forgot one little detail. When Debbie and I moved to LA, one of the first things we did was purchase Disneyland Annual Passes, as we both loved spending Sunday evenings in "The Park". So the trifecta of me working in the studio I had dreamed of, with Michael Jackson singing on a project for Disney, was nearly unbelievable. But it was real life!
I met Michael and from the start we enjoyed each other's company. He was Michael Jackson at first, but very soon he was just Michael.
He was shy.
He loved to laugh.
He loved Disney.
He was real.
So over the next few months I got to know him better, and by the time the new project, aka "Bad" started, I was part of the engineering team.
There are 500 details and moving parts that I must skip for now, but fast forward again to the heavy production of the "Bad" album.
Michael, Quincy, Rod and Bruce were all seasoned pros creating some of the most incredible music my ears had ever heard. To hear songs like "Smooth Criminal" and "The Way You Make Me Feel" at face-splitting volume on the enormous Westlake SM-1 speakers is something almost beyond description. But there I was.
Quincy was looking for a special song, a gem, to send this album to another level. The songwriting team of Siedah Garrett and Glen Ballard presented "Man In The Mirror". Production began right away (it was almost a blur how quickly these songs came together with this team), and Michael and Siedah dropped some jaw-dropping vocals. When Michael sang it was as if the studio was floating. Everything outside of those walls stopped. It was incredible to witness.
But Quincy and Michael wanted more. It needed a choir.
Enter Andre Crouch.
To the best of my knowledge it was the first time Michael had met Andre and his incredible choir, but it was the beginning of a friendship that would last for years.
For me it was a flood of memories of singing his songs in church, yet here he was, singing with and for Michael Jackson!
They nailed it, and I learned a new word in the process: Modulation. If you listen to "Mirror" at 2:52, you will hear the choir kick in at a modulation, which gives the song lift. I had always heard the phrase key-change, but Bruce called it a modulation, so modulation it was!
Now, here's where it gets interesting, at least for me.
Over the course of the projects I worked on with Michael we would have several special guests come to visit. People like Nancy Reagan, Princess Stephanie, David Geffin, etc. And almost without fail Bruce would sit the guest down in a chair, right in front of this wall of thunderous speakers, and play "Man In The Mirror" (Bad album) or "Keep The Faith" (Dangerous album) or "Earth Song" (HIStory album) - each featuring Andre and his remarkable choir.
I have seen guests nearly brought to tears hearing Michael's voice and music and Andre's choir in that setting, at those volumes.
It was a very special place and a very special time, and the irony is not lost on me that some of Michael's most powerful songs include the voices of Andre's choir.
I can still hear the laughter.
I can still taste the popcorn.
I can still see Bruce's microphones.
I can still sense of warmth and peace in that room.
I can still feel the impact of those unapologetically powerful speakers.
I can still remember meeting Andre and hearing the jukebox in my head playing his songs I grew up singing, yet being blown against the wall as his choir lit into some of Michael's songs.
<><><><><>
Don't let nobody take you down, brother
Just keep your eyes on the prize
And your feet flat on the ground
Keep the faith, baby, yea
Because it's just a matter of time
Before your confidence will win out
Lift up your mind
Before your mind gets blown
Some things in life you best just leave them alone
Go for what you want
Don't let it get in your way
You can make it happen
But ya got ta keep the faith
Gon' keep it brother
You got to keep the faith
Yeah keep the faith
Gon' keep it sister
You got to keep the faith now, now
I'll show my brotha
How to do the thing right
Lift up your head and show the world you got pride
Go for what you want
Don't let 'em get in your way
You can be a winner if you keep the faith
Straighten out yourself and get your mind on track
Dust off your butt and get your self-respect back
You've known me long enough to know that I don't play
Take it like you want it but you got to keep the faith
Gon'
Don't let nobody take you down
Just keep your eyes on the prize
And get your feet back on the ground
Keep the faith, baby, yea
Because it's just a matter of time
Before your confidence will win out
But till that day
I said you've got to keep the faith!
<><><><>
It's time to get back In The Studio With MJ.
Atlanta: April 28/29
New York: May 19/20
Will You Be There?
www.inthestudiowithmj.com

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 31 marzo 2023, 8:13

In The Studio With MJ

Livestream Time!!!
OK, here's the story: We are testing a new Livestream format with Vimeo, and we need some participants. Plus, I've missed chatting with you guys for the past few weeks.
So on Saturday at 2pm ET (New York Time) we will go live on Vimeo, trying some hardware and giving it test-drive for upcoming events. I could sit and read from The Audio Engineer's Handbook (which is actually loaded with great information), but I figured it might make more sense to do some Q&A.
So fill the comments below with a list of questions related to Michael, Captain EO, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory, Neverland, Touring, Upcoming Events, etc.
On Saturday we'll post the Vimeo link on FB, IG and TikTok.
See you then... ask away!!!

Immagine

soulmum
Utente certificato
Utente certificato

Messaggio da soulmum » 16 aprile 2023, 7:42

In The Studio With MJ

A few days ago my daughters and I saw the Taylor Swift "Eras Tour" in Tampa with 68,000 of our closest friends. No, this article is not about comparing Taylor to Michael - they have very different songwriting and performance styles which is totally fine.
As I was enjoying the show and listening to the mix (as I always do), it was a bit surprising to me that it was a bit light on the subs, meaning the low frequency notes/rumble were not quite as powerful as I would have expected. To be fair our seats were a bit of a distance from the subs under the stage, but I've seen enough shows to have a good idea of how powerful these systems can be.
Stay with me: This will not be a lesson on amplifier wattage or low-frequency directionality, rather a cool technique I learned from Michael's tour.
As the Bad album studio production was winding down I got asked to help with "Tour Prep" for Michael Jackson's Bad live shows (along with the following Dangerous and HIStory Tours in later years). This was a process of taking many of the songs we had recorded in the studio, and working with the musical director from the band along with Michael to change the key and the tempo of the songs to make them more "performance ready" for live shows.
It was a process that took a couple weeks of bringing edits and tracks back and forth to the rehearsal stage for Michael, the band and dancers to try and make sure everything fit properly into the show. Every detail was carefully pre-planned.
I've written fairly extensively about that before, so I'll skip some of those details for now.
Most of my professional career to that point revolved around recording studios, but I had done a fair bit of live mixing, which is something I still enjoy doing to this day. I just didn't mix giant stadium shows as that's a really unique skill set that very few people can do really well.
Most artists had or have different engineers, some for studio work and others for mixing live sound. Most top shelf engineers choose one or the other as the two fields are quite different.
Studio engineers have time on their side, to a certain extent. They can finesse vocals, EQ and compress drums, build layers of background vocals and of course edit and move sounds in the tracks. All while sipping a coffee and deciding what's for dinner, with perhaps two or three people in the room.
Live FOH (front of house) engineers have one shot to get it right. Once the show starts there are no do-overs or room for errors. Everyone's a critic and there are thousands and thousands listening to the live engineer's work moment-by-moment. It's a good blend of adrenaline and stress, but the people who master it are highly sought after.
Arguably the most stressful job is what is called the Monitor engineer. You likely never see them as they are backstage, but their job is to create ALL the mixes for the artist, each musician, each BG singer and the dancers. At any given time he or she might be managing 25 or more live mixes at the same time, with everyone wanting a different one.
Back to my story.
I got to be pretty good friends with Michael's FOH engineer Kevin, and it was really fun to watch him work. His hands would move lightning fast adjusting equalizers, compression ratios and of course the overall balancing of levels to make sure every vocal and instrument were heard at the correct volume.
He was very calm and casual as he worked, chatting away with me as Michael worked out songs like Man In The Mirror and Billie Jean. It's always great to watch seasoned professionals do what they do so well and make it all look so easy.
Under his console I noticed what looked like a guitar pedal with a few cables running in and out of it. I asked them what it was, and he said, "Well, watch this."
As the band rolled into the crescendo of one of the songs, Kevin put his foot on the pedal and began to press down. Slowly the Ricky's kick drum and Don's bass got more and more pushed in the mix, and you could feel the energy increase. I couldn't help but smile.
"You've got the subs on their volume - that's amazing!" I said.
This was still during the days of analog consoles for live music, and Kevin's old-school technique might seem obvious today, but back then it was very effective.
Kevin explained that sub frequencies make people get up and dance. If they are already up they dance harder. But the key is to use it sparingly, or it is just noise and rumble.
This was also MJ 101: Anticipation is a good thing, it lets people enjoy what they've been waiting for all the more (there are a lot of life lessons there, but I'll just move on).
Over the course of the next few months and years I watched Michael perform live many times, and it was always fun to watch the crowd react when that sub pedal was pushed towards the end of a song and the entire place would begin to seemingly shake from the low frequencies, and the audience would go crazy.
All from a $99 foot pedal.
And a lot of experience.
See you soon in Atlanta (April 28th-29th), New York (May 19th-20th) and LA (June 23rd-25th)
Tickets on sale at www.inthestudiowithmj.com
Will You Be There?

Rispondi